How Mold Effects Your Health

Water can come from a lot of sources in your home. Water can enter your home by leaking out from the outside or diving through the basement floors. Bathrooms or even cooking can add moisture to the air of your home.

The amount of humidity the air can hold in your home depends on the temperature of the air. As the temperature drops, less moisture can be stored in the air. That is why, in cold weather, moisture may condense on cold surfaces ( e.g. drops of water form inside a window). This moisture may stimulate the growth of the mold.

Molds are usually not a problem indoors unless the mold spores land in a wet or damp place and begin to grow. There is a potential for mold to cause health problems. Molds produce allergens (substances that may cause allergic reactions) and irritants. Inhalation or touching mold or mold spores can cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals. Allergic reactions include symptoms of hay fever, such as sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and rash.

Allergic reactions to mold are common. They could be either immediate or delayed. Molds can also cause asthma attacks in people with asthma who are allergic to mold. In addition, moisture exposure may irritate the eyes, skin, nose, throat , and lungs of both allergic and non-allergic people. Symptoms other than allergic and irritant types are not commonly reported as a result of mold inhalation. Research on mold and health effects is ongoing.

The above does not describe all potential health effects associated with mold exposure. For more detailed information consult a and IICRC trained technician at Lilly’s Restoration, your state or local health department, or the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention mold website.